A few hours later, another man walked up the stairs, and his voice was shaking.
“This is the worst day of my life,” he said.
“I have no money.
I have no job.
I don’t know how to get here.”
“I don’t understand why you’re here,” the man said, repeating the message several times.
“You’re going to be the first to die.”
As soon as the man had left, another woman came up the steps, this one a former member of the group.
She was visibly shaken.
“It’s been a nightmare for the last two years,” she said.
“This is not normal,” said one of the women who had been standing next to the man.
The woman had been there for a long time.
She had gone to school with the group and helped them get their licence.
This was where she met the man, who was also a member of her group.
They had been together for three years, but after the shooting of three friends of the suspect, the group split up and she never came back.
She had been a regular member of a local paintball course and had also played paintball for years.
But in October 2016, she was one of four women who tried to attend the course and, despite a warning from the police, the man who had just shot her was allowed to go ahead.
He was the same man who, four days earlier, had shot five people at a party in central Sydney.
After the shooting, the gunman was arrested in a nearby park, where he was found dead.
It was the deadliest attack on Australia’s community-based paintball venue in more than a decade.
For years, the police had been under pressure from the community to crack down on the violence that has swept the country.
In February, a woman was killed in a shooting in Adelaide after her boyfriend was shot and killed by police.
Three months later, police killed a man who was wielding a gun and brandishing a knife outside a cafe in Melbourne, while a woman died in an explosion at a Perth nightclub.
On Wednesday, the NSW Police Service said the shooting in Melbourne was a “potential terrorist incident”.
Police said it had been an “attempted homicide” and there was a large-scale operation underway in the area.
At least four police officers were injured in the shooting and the gunman is believed to have escaped.
A statement from the NSW Attorney-General’s Department said the “unprecedented and extremely violent” shooting “has not been seen in this state in over 30 years”.
“The police and their colleagues are deeply saddened by the events that have unfolded,” it said.
“It is important to recognise the extraordinary bravery of our officers and their families during this difficult time.”
They will be remembered for their dedication and professionalism in protecting our communities, and the professionalism and integrity of their work, as well as the community they serve.
“The NSW Police Commissioner, Andrew Scipione, told reporters that police were not trying to “turn a blind eye” to the violence.
“We are not saying we are going to ignore it or turn a blind look, but this is something that we need to be vigilant about.” “
[It is] an issue of community safety,” he told reporters.
“We are not saying we are going to ignore it or turn a blind look, but this is something that we need to be vigilant about.”
“We are committed to getting to the bottom of it.” ABC/wires